Bluehost is a trusted host by the WordPress foundation and Hostingsonar. Rock solid uptime, speedy performance & excellent customer support makes Bluehost the obvious WordPress choice.See Plans
A2 Hosting is the fastest host around. Insane loading times and an overall perfect experience takes away all our hesitation when it comes to choosing A2 Hosting for the shared hosting winner.See Plans
The simplicity of starting up a Dreamhost SSD Cloud Server is just so convenient. They allow you to run any application on their servers and speed is out of this world and the servers are stable as nothing we've seen.See Plans
Nothing can compete with Cloudways when it comes to VPS hosting. They make it so simple any beginner can wrap their heads around it.See Plans
Most Popular Web Hosts
1. Bluehost – Our Experts Choice (#1 WordPress And Cloud Hosting)Pricing from $2.95/mo
- Free domain & SSL certificate
- 24/7 expert support + dedicated WordPress support
- 99.9% uptime
2. A2 Hosting – Fastest Hosting on the MarketPricing from $3.92/mo
- Up to 20x faster servers
- 24/7 expert support
- 99.9% uptime
3. Dreamhost – Small Business Owner’s ChoicePricing from $2.59/mo
- Very intuitive & beginner friendly
- Free domain & Fast SSD storage
- Recommended by WordPress.org
4. HostGator – Great all-round HostingPricing from $2.75/mo
- Stable & reliable servers
- Great 24/7 expert support
- Very valuable all-rounder
5. Godaddy – Beginner’s ChoicePricing from $4.00/mo
- Guaranteed 99.9% uptime
- 24/7/365 U.S.-based expert support
- Great load times
- 24/7 security monitoring and DDoS protection
- 1-click setup for GoDaddy registered domains
- Flexible, easy-to-use control panel
- 1-click install of 125+ free applications. (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.)
- 1-click purchase of additional resources (CPU, RAM, I/O, etc.)
- 1 GB database storage (MySQL Linux)
If you're worried about losing your files, Godaddy offers an optional website backup service, that saves all your website files to the cloud once a day. For $2.99/month, you can get 5GB of website backups in their cloud ($12.99 for 100gb). They also have a Website Protection tool starting at $6.99/mo, with WAF malware prevention, CDN performance accelerator, advanced DDoS mitigation & much more. There are many more tools & services that Godaddy will upsell you, and they usually have relatively high renewal fees. That being said, Godaddy usually offers a generous selection of coupon codes every now and then. Make sure you take advantage of them.
Fun factAccording to Wikipedia, Godaddy made $2,231.9 million in revenue for 2017.
6. Siteground – Top Rated WordPress HostingPricing from $3.95/mo
- Free daily backups
- Quick & knowledgeable 24/7 support
- Recommended by WordPress.org
And the support is where Siteground truly excels. They have extremely fast ticket solving, with no waiting time on their phone support or live chat support. Siteground is one of few hosts that actually gives you a warm feeling about choosing them. Their support team is super friendly. On the negative, Siteground can get very pricey if your website pulls in vast amounts of traffic. There will be a high price to pay for scaling. But for the regular user, this won't be an issue.
Pro tipSiteground doesn't normally offer an option to pay using Paypal, but you can contact their live chat support, and they can send you a custom Paypal payment link.
7. Cloudways – Best VPS DashboardPricing from $10.00/mo
- Provides intuitive dashboard to use with several hosting partners
- Accommodating expert support team - 24/7 available
- Host multiple websites on a single plan
- Digital Ocean (VPS)
- Vultr (VPS)
- Linode (VPS)
- Google Cloud Platform (Cloud)
- Amazon AWS (Cloud)
- Thirty Bees
- Media Wiki
8. Hostwinds – Great Windows VPS & Dedicated HostingPricing from $3.29/mo
- Great introductory offer
- Very stable servers
- Popular VPS choice
Pro TipKeep in mind that you'll only get their 50% discount on the first invoice, so make sure you go for a yearly plan if you want to save big. Another thing to keep in mind also is that they're not refunding VPS cancellations, should you ever need to cancel.
9. iPage – Great ValuePricing from $1.99/mo
- Free domain & SSL
- Free ad credits & other extras
- Free apps & templates
10. Digital Ocean – Very Reliable VPS HostingPricing from $5.00/mo
- Pro VPS choice
- Impressive server stability
- Very helpful support
11. Inmotion HostingPricing from $6.39/mo
- Free 1-click installer with loads of applications
- Free domain
- SSD Storage
12. Hostinger – Good Cheap HostingPricing from $0.80/mo
- Incredible introductory offer
- 24/7/365 Support
- 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
Asmallorange offers powerful managed servers highly-customizable for optimal performance. They provide a drag and drop website builder powered by Asmallorange themselves. Their highly-trained support staff is ready to assist you with all manner of issues related to your hosting experience. They have a high uptime of 99.99% and speedy loading times. If you're running a high-traffic website, it's worth keeping in mind is that they will freeze your account if you exceed their limits. But you can always scale as you go. Asmallorange only provides chat and email support - no phone support. But their support is outstanding.
13. Fatcow - Somewhat Slow, but Very StablePricing from $4.08/mo
- Free domain
- Comes with $200 worth of ad credits
- Loads of free site templates
14. Hostmetro – Cheap & StraightforwardPricing from $2.95/mo
- 24/7 U.S Support
- 99% Uptime Guarantee
- Price Lock Guarantee
15. Fastcomet – Fast & Cheap ChoicePricing from $2.95/mo
- SSD storage
- Free domain
- No hidden fees
16. Hostpapa – Good for Small BusinessesPricing from $2.95/mo
- The cheapest plan lets you host two websites
- Free domain & SSL
- CloudLinux servers
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Domain and Web Hosting?
An example of a domain is hostingsonar.com. Web hosting is like a "hotel" that serves our files to you - the visitor. You wouldn't be able to see any content on hostingsonar.com if a web host didn't store our data.
How Do Domain Names Work?
A domain name is a unique identifier coordinated by a corporation called ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers).The function of domain names is to provide easily memorizable names instead of having to remember their IP address. For example, google.com is much easier to remember than an IP address that looks like 126.96.36.199. Getting a domain name involves registering the name you want with ICANN through a domain registrar such as Namecheap, Godaddy, Register.com and many more. Check out the video below for an in-depth explanation.
How Does Web Hosting Work?
To make your website accessible online, your website's files must be physically stored on a connected server. You can create your web server and host it at home, but it usually won't be as reliable as a server maintained by a web hosting company, and it will consume a lot of bandwidth. Web hosting companies provide such servers stored securely in a data center, managed by experts who regularly do updates, backups, security improvements, etc.
Why Do You Need a Web Hosting Service?
A web hosting service provides you with the technologies and services needed for your website to be viewed on the Internet.
Do I Need Web Hosting for Email?
No, you can use an email service such as Gmail without having to purchase web hosting. You can even use G Suite to use your own domain in the email address. However, if you want to keep everything in the same place, then usually your web hosting will come with free email hosting as well. If not, you can always purchase it as an add-on.
How Do You Host Your Own Website?
What Are the Types of Web Hosting?
There are many types of different web hosting services, here are the most popular ones:
- Shared Web Hosting
- Managed WordPress Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
- Reseller Web Hosting
- Dedicated Server Hosting
- Virtual Private Server (VPS)
- Website Builders (Wix, Squarespace, Shopify, etc.)
What Is the Cost of a Domain?
A domain name shouldn't cost you more than $10-$20. Sometimes you can find special hosting offers that allow you to get a domain name for under $1. Some web hosting companies, like Bluehost, will give you a free domain when you sign up for their hosting. Keep the renewal fees in mind though, and some companies can charge you up to $50 for a simple .com renewal. Two examples of such companies are Enom.com, who charge $49/year for renewals, and Networksolutions.com who charge $37.99/year.
How Do I Find out Where My Domain Is Hosted?
You can either check your billing records or use a WHOIS lookup service.
How Does a Web Host Get Top Ratings in Your Reviews?
When reviewing a web host, we look at several key factors:
- How is the reputation of the brand?
- How competitive is their pricing compared to other web hosting companies?
- What's their server performance like?
- Is their support helpful and available 24/7?
- How are their bandwidth and storage resources?
- Do they have hidden fees and terms, or are they fully transparent?
- How reliable are their servers?
- How simple is it to get attuned to their user interface?
- & much more.
What is a Server?
A server can refer to either hardware or software, or both of them working together. So in other words, a web server is a computer that's connected to the internet and that stores web server software and website component files (e.g., HTML files). But a server can also refer to the physical machine's software, such as an HTTP server - which you can access through an IP address or a domain name.
What is the Difference Between a VPS and a Server?
One single server can run multiple Virtual Private Servers (VPS). A VPS is not a physical server. It's instead a virtual machine running on an actual server, sharing the server's resources with other Virtual Private Servers.
What Is the Recommended Maximum Size for a Web Page?
It's difficult to give an exact recommendation as to how large your website should be, and different sites have different purposes. However, Google recommends keeping your pages below 500kb.
How fast should my website load?
Google recommends keeping your page loading times under 3 seconds. Apparently, over 50% of visits are abandoned if the website takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
How Can I Host a Website for Free?
There are multiple services that let you host your website for free. Keep in mind however, free hosting providers tend to support mainly static HTML. If you need to host a dynamic website instead, check out our top hosting recommendations.Here are a few examples of services that offer free hosting:
How Can You Tell If a Web Host Is Good or Bad?
First things first, look for expert reviews. You may also want to check their online reputation briefly. Usually, it's best just to Google the company name and see what comes up.
How Much Does It Cost to Host a Website?
How Do You Publish a Website?
Where Can I See How Fast My Website Is?
What Is WordPress?
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) which dynamically serves your website using PHP.
Is WordPress Free?
Yes, WordPress is 100% free. It's worth mentioning, however, that there are thousands of third-party plugins available for WordPress. Not all of these plugins are free.